House Insurance For Empty Property

House insurance for empty property

Buying House Insurance For Empty Property

House insurance is a must even if your property is empty. An unoccupied property is more at risk of damage from the elements, vandalism and flood damage from broken pipes. House insurance for empty property can be taken out for the short term and each insurance company will have a set of requirements that must be adhered to for the cover to continue.

The cost of house insurance for empty property will depend upon several factors including the value of the property and where it is located. It is very important to advise an insurer as soon as your property becomes empty so that full cover can begin immediately under the new type of policy. This article looks at some of the aspects of house insurance with regard to empty property and will help you to find your way through the legalities of this kind of insurance and claims.

What Is Categorised As An Empty Property?

Any property that is left empty is going to be a higher risk for insurance companies and if a property has no one in residence it is considered by them to be unoccupied. This does not apply to properties that are unoccupied for a limited time e.g. for a holiday or if there is a short gap between tenants.

Many insurance companies invoke the 30 day rule which means that if the property is empty for more than 30 days it is classed as unoccupied. Whether the property is furnished or unfurnished does not factor into the rules. Your insurer will have their own rules and the guideline rule may be 30, 60 or even 90 days.

Why Do I Need Empty Property Insurance?

The chances of vandalism, theft or damage are far greater when a property is left unoccupied for a period of time. There is also the possibility of structural damage due to burst pipes. Although not as common as in the past there is the chance of squatters moving into your empty house and the legal fees to remove them can be steep.

If there is no insurance you could be subject to a claim from a member of the public if they are hurt due to neglect of the property e.g. a falling roof tile. Finally, If your property has an outstanding mortgage it is even more important to make sure that insurance cover is intact or you could be breaking the terms and conditions of the contract.

Empty Property Insurance FAQ

Will My Home Contents Policy Cover My Empty Property?

No, if your property is classed an unoccupied a standard house insurance policy will not provide cover. You must advise your insurance company and take out a separate house insurance for empty property to cover the unoccupied period.

Does House Insurance For Empty Property Cover Buildings And Contents?

You can take out a policy that covers both the buildings and the contents of an empty property. The cost will depend upon the level of cover. Most insurance companies have flexible policies that will provide cover from between 3 and 12 months.

How Can I Find Cheap House Insurance For Empty Properties?

Yes, you can find the cheapest quote for house insurance for empty properties by browsing insurance comparison websites. Make sure that the level of cover is comparable between the different insurers. If you require a high level of cover the premiums may be higher than the cheapest quote available.

Does leaving A Property Empty Invalidate The House Insurance?

You must advise your insurer is your property is going to be empty for longer than the specified period on the current policy. Failure to do so will invalidate the existing cover. The cost of meeting a claim yourself could run into thousands of pounds. There is also the possibility of litigation by a third party if the property is unsafe.

Unoccupied Property Insurance

House insurance for empty property should cover as many scenarios as possible. You should look for a policy that covers the usual natural disasters of fire, flood and storm damage. Cover should also be included for burst pipes, theft, vandalism and public liability.

There are some things that are not included in house insurance for empty property. These include damage caused by someone working on your house and any major problem caused by work on extensions or large scale repairs. If you leave the house unlocked you will not be covered for theft as only forced entry is covered.

Property Insurance Resources
UK Insurance Ombudsman
Guide to UK home insurance
Flood insurance cover
Contents insurance for renters and tenants

Who Needs House Insurance For Empty Property?

Many homeowners find themselves in the situation where their property may be empty for a period of time. If you have just purchased a property but are not moving in immediately you will still need insurance cover. A landlord who has a property that is empty between tenants also needs cover. Holiday homes that are not a main residence require this type of insurance cover as does any property that has been inherited and is empty.

How Much Should I Insure My Empty Property For?

A professional assessor will be able to advise you about the level of cover you need for an empty property. Cover for rebuilding costs as well as solicitor and surveyor costs should be considered a priority. If there is any furniture inside the unoccupied property, you will need cover for replacement items. Cover may be restricted to a percentage of the cost to allow for wear and tear. Shop around and find the best quote possible for house insurance for empty property.

Is It Expensive To Buy House Insurance For Empty Property?

House insurance for empty property can be more expensive than normal house cover due to the higher risk. An insurer will take into account the location of the property as well as the house value. Security is important so if you have burglar alarms fitted and high security locks the premiums may be lower. Keeping up maintenance on the property is another factor than can make insurance premiums higher. If you want the highest cover this will also increase the premiums. An competent insurance assessor will be able to advise you about the best level of cover.

Short Term House Insurance For Empty Property

Insurance for empty property can cover both buildings and contents and is usually for a shorter period of time than a standard policy. Insurance companies will normally offer policies for between 3 months and 12 months.

If your property remains empty for a longer period than you are expecting you can normally ask for an extension to the policy. At all times it is important to keep your insurance company up to date with the facts. If you fail to notify an insurer that the property remains unoccupied beyond the specified cover period your policy may become invalid.

Making A Claim On Empty Property Insurance

Claiming on unoccupied property insurance is the same as any other policy. There may be an excess involved so if the damage is small it might be worthwhile paying for it yourself. Other terms may apply and if you have a no claim bonus this could be lost for a small claim. This may also result in an increase in future premiums.

Back to UK Property Market blog

Homepage: Auction Properties | UK Property Auctions List