Buying Land For Sale In Devon, England
Nestled in the heart of Southwest England, Devon boasts a stunning coastline, rolling hills, and picturesque countryside. It’s no wonder that many people dream of owning a piece of this paradise. If you’re one of them, you may be wondering how to go about finding land for sale in Devon.
Whether you’re looking to build your dream home, start a farm, or simply invest in a piece of land, the process can seem daunting. But with the right information and guidance, you can find the perfect plot and make your dreams a reality.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about finding land for sale in Devon. From understanding local zoning laws to working with real estate agents, we’ve got you covered.
Why Choose Devon for Your Land Purchase?
There is a wide variety of land for sale in Devon to suit any purpose, so before you attend a property auction in Devon, it is well worthwhile sitting down and determining what type of land you are looking for.
The main reason to plan before you start looking for land in Devon is because of the huge price variations for the different land uses in the county. Lets take a look at some of the different types of land sales in Devon:
- Farming Land: This is, as the title suggests, land used for farming in the sense of growing crops on a commercial basis. You can buy or rent farm land in Devon.
- Grazing Land: Similar to farm land, you can buy grazing land for sale all over the county of Devon. Narrow this down if you simply need grazing land for animals.
- Smallholdings in Devon: If you are interested in small-scale subsistence farming, you may want to find a smallholding for sale to suit your needs.
- Woodland and Forest: Devon also has a very good selection of woodland for sale, including natural woodlands and established forest for sale.
Note: We are not including building plots for sale in devon as that is a specific type of land sale and will be featured in a different article.
Understanding Planning Laws In Devon
Before you start your search for land for sale in Devon, it’s important to understand local planning laws. These regulations dictate what you can and cannot do with your property, and vary depending on the part of Devon you buy land in.
For example, some areas of Devon may have restrictions on building heights, while others may prohibit certain types of businesses from operating on residential or agricultural land. It’s important to research these laws before you make an offer on a piece of land to ensure that it’s suitable for your intended use.
Working With Devon Estate Agents
One of the best ways to find land for sale in Devon is to work with a local estate agent. These professionals have access to a wide range of properties and can help you navigate the buying process. They are also very familiar with their local area and may be aware of land for sale in Devon which is not listed on the property market.
When choosing an estate agent, look for someone with local knowledge and experience in the type of property you’re looking for and in the area you are interested in. They should be able to provide you with valuable insights into the local market and help you find land for sale which fits your purpose.
Tips for Finding Land for Sale in Devon
Here are some tips to help you find the perfect plot of land in Devon:
- Use online property portals: Websites like Zoopla offer a wide range of properties for sale, including land.
- Attend Devon property auctions: Property auctions can be a great way to find land for sale at a competitive price. Make sure to do your research beforehand to ensure you’re getting a good deal.
- Network with Devon locals: Talk to people in the local community and let them know you’re looking for land. They may be able to point you in the direction of properties that aren’t listed publicly.
- Take a drive around: Sometimes the best way to find land is simply to drive around the part of Devon you like and start looking and talking to people.
Common Questions About Buying Land In Devon
Q: Can I build a house on agricultural land in Devon?
A: It depends on the specific zoning laws in the area. Some agricultural land may be designated for residential use, while others may have more strict regulations.
Q: What should I consider when buying land in Devon?
A: Some important factors to consider include zoning laws, access to utilities like water and electricity, soil quality, and potential environmental concerns.
Q: How much does land cost in Devon?
A: Land prices can vary widely depending on location, size, and other factors. It’s best to work with a local real estate agent to get an accurate picture of the market.
|Area||Average Land Price (£/acre)|
The above table shows the average price per acre of land for sale in Devon, England