Unusual Property In The UK
If you’re tired of the typical standard design houses that flood the UK property market, you might want to consider looking into the world of unusual properties for sale. From converted barns to lighthouses, eco-friendly homes to underground dwellings, there’s a unique property out there for everyone.
In this article, we’ll explore the fascinating and diverse world of unusual property for sale in the UK. We’ll take a closer look at some of the most sought-after property types and features, as well as the benefits and challenges of owning an unconventional home.
Whether you’re in the market for a new home or simply looking to satisfy your curiosity, you won’t want to miss this exciting glimpse into the world of unusual properties for sale.
Why Look For An Unusual Property For Sale?
There are many reasons why you might consider buying an unusual property in the UK. One of the most compelling is the opportunity to own a truly unique home that stands out from the crowd.
Unusual properties are often full of character and charm, with features that you won’t find in a traditional home. They can offer a sense of individuality and creativity that is hard to come by in today’s modern housing market.
In addition to their unique character, unusual properties can also offer a range of practical benefits. For example, eco-friendly homes and converted barns often come with energy-efficient features that can help you save money on your utility bills. Underground dwellings and properties built into the side of hills can offer natural insulation that keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Another benefit of unusual properties is their potential for flexibility and versatility. Many of these homes are designed with open floor plans and adaptable spaces that can be customised to suit your specific needs and lifestyle. This can be especially useful if you work from home or have a hobby that requires extra space.
Owning an unusual property can be a source of pride and satisfaction. You’ll be able to enjoy a home that is truly one-of-a-kind and that reflects your unique personality and tastes. And if you ever decide to sell, your unusual property is likely to attract attention from buyers who are looking for something different and memorable.
What Kind Of Unusual Property Is For Sale In The UK?
When it comes to unusual property for sale in the UK, we have a lot to choose from. The UK is full of weird and wonderful properties and because of the history of the UK, the age range goes from medieval to modern day.
Here are just some of the types of unusual properties for sale around Britain:
- Converted churches, chapels, and other religious buildings
- Lighthouses, windmills, and other unique historic structures
- Eco-friendly homes with energy-efficient features
- Converted barns, stables, and other agricultural buildings
- Underground dwellings and homes built into hillsides
- Homes with unusual or quirky designs, such as roundhouses or hobbit houses
- Properties with unique features, such as swimming pools or indoor gardens
- Homes with underground tunnels or secret rooms
- Castles, forts, and other historic structures with a rich heritage and fascinating history
Disused Churches, Lighthouses, Barns and Windmills
Converted churches, chapels, and empty churches for conversion offer a unique combination of character, history, and architecture, sometimes featuring stunning stained-glass windows, high vaulted ceilings, and intricate stonework.
Lighthouses, windmills, and other unique historic structures are also among the unusual property for sale in the UK. With their striking locations and fascinating histories, these properties are perfect for anyone looking for a home with a story to tell.
Eco-friendly homes with energy-efficient features are designed with sustainability in mind, using features such as solar panels, wind turbines, and green roofs to minimise their environmental impact and reduce energy costs.
Converted barns, stables, and other agricultural buildings offer a rustic charm and often feature exposed brickwork, wooden beams, and other original features that give them a unique and homely feel. These type of buildings often make ideal rural retreats.
Check The Unusual Property Isn’t Listed
Before making an offer on an unusual property, it is really important to check if the building is listed. Listed buildings are those that are considered to be of historical, architectural or cultural significance and are therefore protected by law.
As a result, making changes to the property can be restricted or even prohibited, which can impact the property’s value and the feasibility of any renovation or restoration plans. It is important to be aware of any listing status and restrictions before making an offer, to avoid any surprises or issues further down the line.
Generally speaking, in the UK, older buildings which are unusual often gain listed status, especially if the building pre-dates the Victorian period, such as a fort, castle or older period property.
In England it is easy to check whether a building is listed or not.
What Other Unusual Buildings Sell In the UK?
Underground dwellings and homes built into hillsides – Perfect for anyone looking for a home with a difference, these properties offer a sense of seclusion and privacy, as well as a natural insulation that keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter.
Houseboats, Narrowboats and Barges – With their stunning views and tranquil surroundings, these properties offer a unique and peaceful way of life that’s perfect for anyone who loves the water.
Homes with unusual or quirky designs, such as roundhouses or hobbit houses – These properties are perfect for anyone looking for a home that’s truly unique, with features and designs that are sure to capture the imagination.
Castles, forts, and other historic structures with a rich heritage and fascinating history – These unusual properties offer a glimpse into the past, with stunning architecture, fascinating histories, and a sense of grandeur and elegance that’s hard to find in modern homes.
The following table shows the average price for various popular types of unusual properties in the UK. This is only a guide, the prices will vary wildly depending on the type of unusual building, the location and the condition of the property.
|Unusual Property||Average UK Price|
|Disused Churches||£300,000 – £500,000|
|Castles For Sale||£2,500,000 – £3,000,000+|
|Thatched Cottages||£250,000 – £500,000|
|Narrowboats||£50,000 – £100,000|
|Lighthouses For Sale||£500,000 – £1,000,000+|
|Barn Conversions||£300,000 – £700,000|
|Windmills||£500,000 – £1,000,000+|
How To Find Unusual Properties For Sale In The UK
There are a number of practical ways you can find unusual property for sale in the UK which will yield better results than online listings or mass marketed properties.
- Attend property auctions: Property auctions can be a great place to find unusual properties that are up for sale. These properties are often sold at lower prices than their market value, making them a great investment opportunity.
- Speak with local estate agents: Local estate agents often have access to properties that are not listed online or in classifieds. By developing a relationship with a local estate agent, you may be able to find unusual properties that are not available to the general public. Search for an ‘estate agent near me‘ to find your local agents.
- Check with conservation societies: Conservation societies often work to preserve and protect historic and unique properties. They may be able to put you in touch with owners who are looking to sell their unusual properties.
- Drive around and explore: Driving around the areas that you are interested in can be a great way to find unique properties that are not listed for sale. By exploring the countryside or areas that are off the beaten track, you may come across a property that you would not have found otherwise.
- Talk to locals: The best way to find out about unusual properties for sale in a particular area is to talk to the locals. They may have inside knowledge of properties that are not listed online or in classifieds. Strike up a conversation with people at the local pub, coffee shop, or village hall and see if they know of any unusual properties for sale in the area.
Other Types Of Unusual Property
Aside from the types of unusual properties, buildings and structures mentioned above, there are other types of unusual property for sale around the UK. These include:
- Forests and wooded land: Many people buy UK woodlands for sale or a forest for sale as a way of developing a different lifestyle on their own land. This can be a viable eco-friendly option, especially for anyone who wants to live off-grid in the UK.
- Smallholdings for sale: Popular with people who want to escape to the countryside, smallholdings for sale offer a different lifestyle with an emphasis on self-sufficiency.
- Remote property: Nowadays many people are searching for more secluded ways of life and are happy to consider options like a very remote property in Wales.
In conclusion, buying an unusual property for sale in the UK can be a unique and exciting experience. Whether you are looking for a disused church, a lighthouse, or a windmill, there are many options available to suit your tastes and budget.
It is important to do your research, speak with experts, and consider all factors before making a decision. By following these tips and taking a thorough approach, you can find an unusual property for sale somewhere in Britain that meets your needs and provides you with a one-of-a-kind living space.